Coffee and smokes and cold Diet Cokes are what pretty girls are made of. x. Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you will land among the stars.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Diet days tickers

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Sunday 31 July 2011

Scars.

My kitten scratched me. She is very playful, and she accidentally scratched me while I was playing with her. A deep scratch. On my left wrist.

My mum saw it happen, heard me exclaim "Ow!!" and asked if she had scratched me. I pulled back my sleeve and looked at the long, bright, glistening, strawberry score going down my arm.

I almost burst out laughing when I saw it because it directly intercepts a long, horizontal, white, ridged scar. One of many. One of many that I have given myself. It seemed ironically funny to me that I complained that that little scratch hurt, when there before me was clear evidence of a much deeper, longer, more painful cut that I had inflicted upon myself.

I'm not sure if my Mum saw that it cut through the scar - maybe I only noticed it because I know exactly where they all are and what they look like. However - she has never mentioned the scars to me before. I think she just doesn't want to bring that horrible time up. It's not like I hide them anymore, but no one seems to mention them. RG did once, but after my reaction, never did again. I saw my Dad staring at them when my bare arm was forced in front of his face on the tube when we went to London. I quickly moved it. But he didn't say anything.

I saw E for the first time since March yesterday. She pulled a worried face and said I looked too thin. She left it at that - no probing. I liked it. Later than night I went to the pub wearing skinny leggings and a T-shirt. No one said anything. I wanted them to notice. Maybe they did; but no one said anything. I hated that they didn't, but more than that, I hated that I cared that they didn't tell me how thin I am. Even though if they had, I would have been scared that they wouldn't drop the topic.

I remember well the first day that I didn't wear arm "warmers" to cover my arms, and I bared my scars to the world. It had began as a fashion statement for me I suppose, wearing the arm warmers (I was kind of "gothy"/"emo"). I would make them out of stripy knee high socks or footless tights, so that they would be long enough to cover 3/4 of my entire arm. I was never seen without them. They became useful when I began cutting. I was afraid that they would think it strange that I wore them in summer, but I had been wearing them for so long that it wasn't that big a deal. And I had made a thinner summer pair out of fishnet tights.

Then one day - a year or so after I stopped cutting - I decided that perhaps the ugly, purple stains, ridges and grooves had faded enough to white that I could perhaps not cover them. It was a very hot day, and I was growing out of my "emo" phase - the arm warmers didn't look right with my new wardrobe. So I didn't wear them. I was nervous, but kind of excited. What would people say when they noticed?

But they didn't.

I don't know if they didn't notice, or just didn't want to say anything. Maybe they already knew. I don't know.

It was a weird feeling. People must have seen them. They must guess what I did to myself.

It made me wonder. Those scars - that I gave myself - reflect a self destructive side of me. And I am doing exactly the same to myself right now, but in a way that could produce less obvious scars; a thin body can be covered up, pale faces can be painted, flaky skin can be moisturised, dry hair can be cut and dyed. But essentially it is the same. And are these scars more dangerous? I probably have much scarier scars inside of me - my bones and organs. Why am I so self destructive? For attention? I don't think so. I don't know.


It's like I am choosing to be unhappy.




I think that, for now, this is goodbye.




  

5 comments:

  1. I used to wonder if people would notice my scars and say anything when I quit wearing long sleeves. No one ever said anything. I'm not sure if people don't say anything because they don't care or just don't notice or what. I sometimes wonder how thin I would have to be before anyone shows enough concern about my weight to do anything. But I don't know that I want to get to that point because at that point I would probably have to end up in the hospital. I'm quite destructive when it comes to my body. I don't know why. It makes me hate myself even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose the wanting people to comment on how thin your are stems from hoping people care enough to say something. As I lose/lost weight people mentioned it all the time and I liked it but then they started telling me 'don't get any thinner' which then annoyed me and so I started wearing clothes that would hide my weight...however that posed a problem in that people stopped saying anything at all and that got my goat too! such a dilemma. I suppose I want people to continue saying, 'wow you look great!' instead of 'you're starting to look gaunt'...too much to ask perhaps? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get that. As I've been losing weight this summer only my mom's commented. It makes me feel like I'm not doing it right, like it's not noticeable... or that the multiple scales are somehow wrong. Not a fun place to be in.

    Take care, hun <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean its hard.. on one end you have people saying don't lose any more and on the other you have people commenting on the loss in a positive way. its a twisted thought bubble of complications at times where you don't know which way is right any more just generally where you want to be and not entirely sure how to move towards it...

    in regards to your scars, most likely if your friends did notice them. They probably weren't too sure on how to approach you about them and didn't want to upset you by pointing them out.

    lots of love,
    Anna<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW ..... http://hospitaltube.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete